Friday, July 13, 2007

12 July 2007 - mile 1225 made it to Allentown Hiking Club Shelter. my Aunt Deb and Uncle Ron met me here to camp over night, then we hiked a few miles. They are such big fans of the outdoors and the AT that they got married on Bake Oven Knob just a few miles from here. All my AT friends love hearing about that. It was a real treat to have them meet me and hike this section with me. And all my hiking buddies that came through the shelter on this given day were treated also...to pizza and mountain dew courtesy of the family. Even a small shelter mouse made out a with a little powdered cocoa in the middle of the night. All was well though, we interupted his midnight meal and stowed our food higher. no problem for the rest of the night. we hiked to 309 the next morning, then i was treated to a ride in a car, (they let me sit IN the car) a hot shower and good meal. Saw my cousin Era who is the Captain of the Hazle Township Volunteer Fire Dept. and had a real good visit. I hardly ever see these guys since i live in Florida, so the visit was a long time coming. just didn't think it would be a long walk coming also. So with a new set of shoes (the old ones lasted me 1200 miles and were worn smooth on the tread)and a full belly, i say good bye to the last of the family that Ill see on the trail, and press forward to the last 944 miles of the hike. My pack is down to 40 lbs of essential gear to include 1 sleeping bag, 1 short sleeve shirt, 1 longsleeve shirt, 1 set of rain gear, 1 pari of pants, a small 1st aid kit, headlamp 10 lbs food, 6 lbs water and journal. my body is 20 lbs lighter, leaner and meaner, my walk is steady and quick, my appetite is still monsterous and my complaints are non existent. Its is my dialy routine to be up at 6-7 and on the trial by 7-8 hiking all day till dark, setting up camp, eating, going to sleep then getting up and doing it all over again every day for 5-6 months. it is a lifestyle at this point. One I fulyy enjoy and relish. My mind is clear and my thoughts are steady. I am mentally prepared to carry on as long as my body holds out. More hikers have left the trail due to injuries and obligations. So I hike on. Hoping the experience leaves an unexplainable stamp on my soul. Its already left a pretty good stamp on my feet. Until then. Good Hiking

No comments: